Sign-up for a Direct Support Professional Interview_DDS Southeast Region
The Department of Developmental Services (DDS) seeks caring and compassionate applicants for the role of DIRECT CARE WORKER I who are committed to building meaningful relationships and provide outstanding care and service.
The Direct Care Worker I provides’ programmatic direct care services and supports to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. This is to be accomplished by the provision of an environment consistent with participants' needs in daily living and those skills necessary for community life.
Duties and Responsibilities (these duties are a general summary and not all inclusive):
- Provide support to individuals by assisting in the development and implementation of habilitative, behavioral and recreational programs in accordance with the Individual Service Plan (ISP) objectives
- Coordinate with direct supervisor(s) to ensure successful implementation of ISP's, use of appropriate methods, coordination of services and crisis intervention
- Assist and facilitate activities of daily living, such as household maintenance, self-care and hygiene, food shopping and preparation, budgeting, leisure activities and socialization skill development
- Attend individuals' review meetings and accompany them to various appointments; Transport individuals to work, recreational activities and other engagements as needed
- Maintain individuals' confidentiality and records; preserve individuals' human rights by complying with applicable laws and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain a respectful, caring, tolerant, ethical, and empowering relationship with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities;
- Capacity to assist/lift individuals with physical disabilities and/or limited mobility;
- Aptitude to transcribe, read and comprehend the English language
- Possess current and valid Class D Motor Vehicle Operator's License
- Applicants must pass the Medication Administration Program (MAP) certification
- Upon successful completion of a training program, incumbents must obtain and maintain Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid (FA) certification
DDS fills this entry-level position on an ongoing basis as staff turnover and new program development occurs. The Department has full and part-time positions available on various shifts. Many of the positions require working every weekend with two days off in the middle of the week. Applicants must be flexible in work schedule. This is a 24-hour/7 days a week staff position. The Department requires employees in this position to be able to perform mandatory overtime when circumstances dictate the need.
This position is designated as an "EMERGENCY" position in the Department of Developmental Services Emergency Plan. This means that whenever the Governor declares that the Commonwealth is in a state of emergency, you will be required to report to work.
About the Agency:
The Department of Developmental Services is dedicated to creating, in partnership with others, innovative and genuine opportunities for individuals with intellectual disabilities to participate fully and meaningfully in, and contribute to, their communities as valued members.